Pre-Transfer Advising Services
The Pre-Transfer Advising Program at the University of Maryland supports prospective transfer students and connects them to resources that enhance and ease their transition to the university. Prospective students may receive assistance from an advisor through the services below. The Pre-Advising Worksheet is a tool that allows students to see how their courses transfer to the university and fulfill requirements. Students may use this worksheet in their communication with the advisors to receive feedback.
Please note: Pre-Transfer Advising is not required as part of the admissions process and services are for prospective students who have not been admitted to the university.
New in 2017! The Pre-Transfer Advising Program has expanded its services to four community colleges (AACC, CSM, MC, & PGCC) by providing an on-site Pre-Transfer Advisor at each school to assist prospective UMD students with academic planning.
- Messages will be responded to within 3 to 5 business days of their receipt.
- To receive feedback about prior coursework and how it applies to a UMD degree, please submit the Pre-Advising Worksheet.
Information Sessions (Offered at UMD)
Are you interested in learning more about the transfer process? Please register for an Information Session. This 30-minute student-led presentation provides an overview of the transfer process and key resources to assist students as they consider transferring to UMD. Information sessions are held throughout the semester. View the calendar below for availability and how to register. Registration is required and space is limited.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
Individual appointments are best suited for students at least one year from transfer. Possible topics of discussion include: UMD major exploration, planning coursework, and estimating time to graduation. Please note: Advisors cannot provide feedback regarding admissions decisions and chances. See the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for this information.
Prospective Transfer students may schedule 30-minute advising sessions with a Pre-Transfer Advisor.
- Students at AACC, CSM, & MC should schedule an appointment with their on-site pre-transfer advisor.
- All other students, please see our online appointment scheduler to schedule your appointment today. To receive feedback about prior coursework and how it applies to a UMD degree, submit the Pre-Advising Worksheet at least two business days in advance.
Walk-In Advising (Offered at UMD)
Walk-In advising is an opportunity for students with quick and simple questions to receive in person assistance with academic planning.
Prospective transfer students may receive 15-minute advising sessions with a Pre-Transfer Advisor during a walk-in advising session.
- See the Google calendar below to confirm walk-in advising times.
- To receive feedback about prior coursework and how it applies to a UMD degree, submit the Pre-Advising Worksheet at least two business days in advance.